We're Getting There! ;)

Thursday, February 3, 2011

How to Make Your Own Cream Eyeshadow!

Hey gorgeous people! How are you yall doing today? ;)

SO lately I've been in that really artsy fartsy type of mood and I really wanted to make use of my left over and broken eyeshadows and pigments.  I frantically searched over YouTube for what to do with such things, and came across a really great video on how to make your own cream eyeshadow, essentially for free! All the ingredients used to make this were already in my home so I didn't have to travel far to purchase them, but even if you do, the ingredients and products can all be found in drugstores, dollar stores, and are all under $10.

This experiment was actually really easy! The results were extremely satisfying and I now use these almost everyday! I love the way it turned out and the experience was super fun! However I would just say that make sure you have a surface that you're okay with getting dirty, because this can get fairly messy.




The first thing I did was gather my materials, and like I said, everything is super affordable, here's what you'll need:
  • Plastic containers
  • Vaseline
  • Eyedrops
  • Q-Tips
  • A palette scraper
  • Broken, old eyeshadows
  • Foundation primer (optional)
I'm actually planning on making a video about this, but for now you can check out this blog post for all the details.  So I went out to the dollar store and the only thing I really had to buy were the little containers, and they came in a pack of 2, both for $1.25, so I ended up getting a few packs and started my adventure. Pillboxes and clean contact lens holders should work fine too, but I do suggest getting a bigger container if you have a lot of eyeshadow to mix.
The first thing that I did was clean out those containers, because God only knows what's touched them.
Once everything was sanitized, I began scraping out my eyeshadows with my little handy artist's scraper. I didn't use a pro palette scraper because I can't justify spending over $10 on a bent piece of metal LOL! So I just found one lying around the house from my mother's painting days, and you can get these at any craft or art supply store.  Once the scraping were successfully emptied into the container, (and careful! It gets a little messier from here on in... :) I added my vaseline, and you would honestly be surprised at how much you actually need! I put a full teaspoon of vaseline into the mixture, added 5 or 6 eyedrops, and 2 pea sized amounts of my foundation primer to prevent potential creasing.

Once my ingredients were in, I chopped off the tip of Q-Tip, and began to mix it. You'll notice it seems very hard to work with, chalky and unmangeable. During this time, I just kept adding more and more vaseline until my desired consistency was achieved. Once I finally got the hang of it, it was smooth sailing from there on, and I actually ended up making 12 different colours of cream shadows, just with all the broken shadows I never used!

It's a great activity for the makeup lovers out there who have a flair for creativity, it's just a really fun project, and I can definitely see myself with my friends one day giggling while making our crazy coloured cream shadows :)

I hope everyone found this post useful and I hope you can get some use out of those old broken eyeshadows that were only sitting around collecting dust! Thanks so much for reading my loves, and I'll talk to you all very soon!!

Mwah,
Sarah ♥

2 comments:

  1. I agree its easy to do but one question whats the eye drops used for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same question, why eye drops?

    ReplyDelete