We're Getting There! ;)

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer Trends Series: Fashion

Hey beauties!  So as of today, Wednesday, July 6th, I'm being a very good child, and blogging like I said I would.  I love writing so much, it's so soothing!  I must say though, I have knack for not knowing how to stop though. Teachers have told me time and time again; "You're writing is excellent, you just need to shorten some things."  Thanks guys :)  Either way, I won't stop my passion for writing.  It's much like art if you ask me. I love how that has absolutely no relevance in regards to what I'm about to talk about, but as you can probably tell from the title, I'll be discussing 2011 Summer Fashion trends in this post.  Ahh, Fashion, one of my very favourite things.

The video I will be reffering to is here.

First Trend: Colour blocking.

Extremely popular; it's colour blocking!  It comes in many different forms, like purses, leggings, skirts, belts, etc. and the colours are never the same. That's what I love about it. If you aren't familiar, it's basically thick stripes or blocks of different colours stacked on top of each other, sometimes even in no particular pattern. Whether or not you go for the neutral beige's, grays, browns, and nudes, or neon pinks, lime greens, vibrant violets or cobalt blues, you'll still be following the trend.  Like many other fashion trends, it's an expression of who you are,  your personality, your beliefs. So don't be afraid, let your true colours shine through, no pun intended haha.


 
Second Trend: Crop Tops

One of my favourites.  Very simple to make yourself at home, and also a lot of fun to sport around town.  Okay, well, I wouldn't wear it out without something underneath. In my opinion that gives people the wrong idea about you; however, I wouldn't be hesitant to throw it on over a bathing suit, or a tube top.  So long as most of you is covered up.  If you also are unsure of what a crop top is or how it works, don't worry. Surprisingly, despite the very literal title, many people don't know what it is.  It's basically a non fitted shirt, it can be short sleeved, long sleeved, or tank style, and it looks as if it has been cut a bit above your belly button. When you wear it, it should have almost a flowy, effortless, beach-ready look.  Watch out for crop tops that are a little too short though.  If it's too far above your bellybutton, it's too small. Take it off, right now. Just think, if it's above your belly button while you're sitting what will happen when you raise your hands in the air like you just don't care?  At least it will be more of a moderate exception with shirt that's is a little longer. That's just my opinion anyways.


 
Third Trend: Lace

Oh la la, mes amis, tres chic!  Lace.  Whenever I think of it, I think sultry, seductive, black and grays, but this summer has put an interesting twist on the traditional lace reputation.  In my video, I showed an example of a full lace coral tank top.  I saw it at Bluenotes, and I had to have it! It was beautiful, bright, and so different! I see lace incorporated into so many different accessories, necklaces, bracelets, hats, purses even!  And it really isn't hard to pull off.  For some reason lace always reminds me of a higher class type of role, so I enjoy sporting this trend quite often. If you aren't into full lace tops, there's no need to worry, like I said, you can get it in so many different forms, and it isn't hard to make some lace accessories of your own!



Fourth Trend: Nudes

A refreshing breath of air from the oh so common neons, and corals.  I'm artistic and kooky, so I don't get tired of things like that, but that taste isn't for everyone.  In my video, I used white pants and a white lace crop top as my model outfit, but there are so many other outfits you could use!  High waisted beige pants are a huge hit, especially the scrunched ankle, puffy hips, cargo-esq kind.  Not sure what the proper 'title' for that would be, but I know it's an H & M special. Another example is even with soft patterns.  feathers seem to look good with the nudy tones, as they themselves are earthy, nature-derived pieces.  If you went far enough this could turn into a boho chic type of look.  It's all about to you. The mildness outfit again depends on your personality, and the way you choose to express it.



Fifth Trend: Sheers


Commonly known as the 'Pajama' trend, this one is 70s inspired all the way.  Again, if you choose to wear a sheer trend, wear something underneath, please, for the love of your good reputation.  Sheer is a hard word to explain, see through, textured, light, airy, flowy?  Yeah, I guess that's about right.  In my video I sowed an example of a shirt I purchased at Costa Blanca, it was bat winged, with huge slits down the arms.  It reminded me of Old World women from European countries.  I loved it.  Of course, it did make it's comeback in the 70's with all the hippies and their flowy shirts and bell bottom jeans.



Sixth Trend: High Waisted Pants

I'm not a huge fan of camels, especially not their toes.  High waisted pants are a touchy kind of trend.  If you told me to wear them I'd probably laugh at you, try it on, and then laugh at myself for even making the slightest effort to look socially acceptable in pants that go up to my belly button.  I'm a hipster kid, I love the pants that hang on my hips and that's it.  High waisted shorts however aren't a bad alternative, but the pants? No mom-jeans, please, I'd like to appreciated my youthful body while it is where it is now.  Again, I'm an opinionated child, and I even mentioned in the video, it might work for you, it just doesn't for me, and I'm alright with it. :)





Seventh Trend: Patterns


I'm talking florals, geometrics, Aztec chic, animal prints, intricate detailing and embroidery.  Whatever it is, it's in, and it looks amazing.  I've seen so many runway shows where the outfit is just full of crazy designs. Of course not everything you see on runways is God-sent, but a lot of it is really good inspiration for something you could possibly wear in real life.  In my video I just gave examples of different skirts and scarves you could wear, but I didn't even touch on the topic of all the possibilities of sweaters, shirts, bureaus, accessories, bags, phone cases etc. This is a good trend, and one that won't really be going out of style completely any time soon.



Eighth Trend: Stripes

There isn't much to explain about stripes, other than the fact that have magical capabilities.  Stripes have been  known for years to have a slimming effect on anyone, especially horizontal stripes.  They detract the attention away from the unpleasant area, and distracts the eye with it's magical pattern.  Quite interesting how well it works, maybe even the next black? Who knows. Either way, look out for this trend next time you hit the mall.



Ninth Trend: Rompers

The easiest outfit of life. Rompers are typically made of a thin airy material, and they're also usually a stretchy fabric.  They're also usually a solid colour.  The one I mentioned goes along also with the silent coral trend, and I say this because coral seems like it's always in for summer, but it isn't official just yet for clothing. Anyways, rompers and usually a non fitted type of outfit.  It will usually cinch in at the waist and can have many details such as ruffles, buttons, draw strings, pockets, etc.  The one I used as my example displayed the trend in a really nonchalant manner, a very casual piece. My second example got a little funk-aaay, and we brought in a more tribal feel with the graphic on the front. 


Tenth Trend: Tribal

We touched on the 'Tribal' trend with the second romper example in the previous trend, but it's really getting good here.  In my video I explained how for clothing ornate embroidery, intricate beading and delicate designs were usually considered 'Tribal'.  Anything however, that looks like it was hammered-more even for the accessories-is also a hit.  With the beading, it isn't difficult to make something like this yourself.


 
Eleventh Trend:  Ruffles


Ruffles are so much fun, and I saved the best for last with my outfit in the video.  I followed a couple of trends with this outfit, just because I wanted too. :)  Here I tucked in a ruffled off-the-shoulder top from Forever 21 to a ripped and frayed white skirt I bought from Old Navy a while back.  It's a good example of a work-friendly colour blocking trend, and it's also a beautiful occasion-outfit.  Ruffles, like most any other fashion can be used for multiple pieces of clothing.  I wouldn't go too crazy with ruffles on like hats, or phone cases though, I would say you could get away with leather ruffles on a purse, or a ruffled skirt.



Twelfth Trend: Purses/Bags

These all followed at least one of the trends I talked about earlier. 

  • My first example was an Aztec/Mayan, tribal inspired purse.  Very pretty with a nude outfit, also a deep burgundy colour to match the patches on the purse.
  •  My second example was inspired by the nude theme, it's a neutral beige, and it's an interesting trend as well. It focuses on the boxy, chiseled, briefcase looking style.  A professional looking work piece for sure. 
  • The third purse I'm showing you in the video is regarding the pattern trend. The animal print gives a youthful, modern edge to any outfit. Of course, I do love my zebra stripes, and I love how these a textured as well, so they're almost fuzzy feeling.  Of course, it's faux. 
  • The next bag I'm showing you is of the over the shoulder trend.  It has always been very popular in the warmer seasons, but it is now more than ever before. I chose to display this with my Hermés leather bag.
  • My last bag was my favourite because you can shove the amazon inside it and you'd still have room for just about everything else.  I wear this to the beach all the time, and I like how it cinches up near the top.  It follows the stripes trend nicely, an it's a cute pop of shimmer just when you need it.

Thirteenth Trend: Belts


I'm not going to lie, I don't wear belts often but when I do, I drink Dos Equis. Just kidding guys I hate alcohol.

The first belt is a very pretty faux leather, twist tie sort of piece. Not sure how to really explain it, but it adds sort of an earthy essence to an outfit.  Belts are great for holding up your pants and all, but it's nice to have a little extra definition on your waist, again for that slimming effect.



Fourteenth Trend: Socks and Heels

I hate this trend. I think it's insane, and I think you'd have to be insane to wear it. Well, I could give ti a try...

It scared me a bit, but I see so many people in magazines, and even celebs sporting stuff like this! Maybe not neon, but it's quite the popular trend!  The whole idea is to wear longer socks, scrunch them up a bit to look textured and messy, wear one even a little higher than the next, and slip on heels over top.  I have seen people war this in public, not that I love it or even like it just yet, I'm willing to give ti a small chance... I forgot to mention wedge heels are also in! :)


So that was my lovely blog post for you guys. Long, I know, but I'm Sarah. So, that's what you're going to get :)  I hope you enjoyed my precious, and I hope this helps you look super fashionable this summer! Love you guys, and talk to you in my next video!

Ciao
Sarah Marie xoxo ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment